| Happy Birthday Aizah! |
This is a special post for Miss Aizah Jane, born July 7th
at 6:10AM. I arrived to shift and one of the night shift girls told me “Casey,
there is a fully [dilated] for you.” I was still working on waking up but
hurried and changed into my scrubs. I checked in on mama, Rizza before
endorsements (shift report) and she was pushy with a bit of head visible. She coped well with labor
and was ready for baby to come out! She arrived at the clinic at 5:30AM but
since she was a G1P0 (first pregnancy, none delivered), the supervisor advised
me to have her rest while we did report. I was a bit leery because it seemed like
baby was close but my supervisor was sure. I left the cubicle for a quick
report and headed back in as soon as we talked about my patient. Per protocol,
I began taking a new set of vitals but she was still very active and ready to
push. I took a peak at 4-5 cm of head was visible with BOW (bag of water) intact!
I hollered for my supervisor and she and another midwife came running! This
baby was coming. I positioned myself at the foot of the bed, ready for the bag
of water to break, guarding myself and others. (oh, PS this was during the
weekend that we didn’t have water at the clinic so we were being conservative
with the towels and blankets we were using).
Rizza continued to push well and before I could even think,
baby was out at 6:10AM! A bit of nursing for you: since the BOW (bag of water)
hadn’t broken, baby was out “in the caul” aka with the bag covering her face.
This was the first time I had ever seen or heard that and honestly had no idea
what to do. My supervisor stepped in quickly and wiped it from her face to
allow her to breath. Baby’s APGARs were 7 and 9 so she did very well despite
that little snaphoo.
I cleaned up and worked on their paper work and tried to
help baby girl breast feed.
Unfortunately, this patient was a first time mom and was
having difficulty breast feeding. I worked with her all shift and stressed the
importance of feeding her baby with breast milk (breast is best, after all.
Especially when the water supply isn't guaranteed for formula and it is
premixed, where formula is expensive and mamas here dilute it which means less
nutrition for baby). I never did see her breast feed for more than 5 minutes
without giving up and was worried as I discharged her. My supervisor didn't
seem worried but I was anxious all night. I talked with my roommates about it
and they gave me some ideas.
I saw her the next day for her one day baby check and she
reported that the baby hadn't been sucking well still. Another supervisor
helped me establish a good latch and baby Aizah Jane went to town! Praise God!
I had the patient's husband come in and help and his face was priceless as he
stared in amazement at his baby and mother of his child. It was like a kid in a
candy store. I was so close to tears as she switched sides and the baby latched
on her own! It really is a matter of thriving or dying here if the baby cannot
eat well.
The rest of the shift, I was on cloud nine. I realized that
catching babies is only part of my journey here. The education and aid to women
with this new life in their hands is another component of it. When I first
arrived here I was anxious to catch babies or help them be born; now I am so
overjoyed to be welcomed into their lives in such an intimate way!
Rizza came back for another check today and I got to see
baby sucking well again and GAINING WEIGHT! Happy faces all around!
| Heading home. |
| Day one baby check |
| He was so very careful with her! |
![]() |
| This is after she breast fed so well! I think we were all relieved and happy! |
| PS- McDonald's delivers here. We got a little bored later on during shift and craved some ice cream! Sundaes for all! |

You are an amazing blessing to these new babies and families.
ReplyDeleteTeaching how to feed and care for them.
Awesome! Keep up the good work. Take care, blessings to you.
So great to read of your assistance with deliveries and see those beautiful babies in your arms and the new happy family!
BKR