Monday, June 25, 2012

Harden Junior and Ivan

Saturday 23rd/Sudnay 24th
a little love from home :)
 I am continually reminded of God's love here! Saturday, the 23rd I worked night shift. I had awoken from my nap before shift a little late and rushed out the door. I was lucky enough to catch a ride to the clinic quickly but was dreading a busy night. I hoped as I walked from the jeepney to the clinic that it would be pretty chill during shift. Little did I know that it would be the busiest shift I have had yet! I arrived to find two letters from home on the table, which I had been waiting on for about 3 weeks. It was a great way to start the night with some encouragement and love from home.
What a busy shift! L Ate Elsa, me. L Ruth, Ate Sus
Since I was first up for the shift, I was given the active labor in bed 1 at endorsements. I talked with my supervisor before I went into the cubicle, telling her that I had only had one catch so far and that I would need a bit of help during delivery. Ate Susan (Sus) smiled and said she was more than willing to give me pointers and help. I hopped into the curtain to check my patient. She was still breathing through contractions but I could tell she was ready to push. I called Ate Sus in and the two other midwives on shift came in as well. It was time to have a baby for mama Airen and papa Harden! This would be their third baby. I sat at the bed, readying myself for the baby to come. This time around, I felt more comfortable with hand placement and a lot more calm. Ate Sus gave me some pointers and praise the Lord, baby boy came out healthy with rockstar APGAR scores at 10:36pm. After the birth I was able to ask Ate Sus some questions about what I can do to improve for my next birth, and I got some very good information.
L- Harben Junior R-Ivan. With Ate Sus (supervisor)
Since she delivered so soon in the shift, it meant that I got to care for her through immediate postpartum and continued postpartum. It also meant I got to do his newborn exam and prepare the birth certificate. They named him Harben Junior, and he was absolutely perfect!
Another two active labors came in and they were fully dilated. Ruth and Ate Elsa (two other midwives) caught these babies nearly back to back. It was such a busy time, that I helped out by hopping from curtain to curtain cleaning supplies getting ready for births later on. Shortly after one of these births, another labor patient arrived. Since everyone else was busy with their patients I checked her in. She had elevated blood pressure which puts both her and the baby at risk during delivery. I followed protocol and had her drink some water to hopefully lower her blood pressure and reported off to my supervisor. Since her contractions were not very regular, we decided to monitor her for a while. Once Ate Elsa was finished with her patient, she took this new admit so I could finish my paperwork.
Another fully dilated patient came in around 3:40am, and it was my turn to be up again! I checked her in quickly and Ate Sus stayed close as I monitored her and the baby. At one point, the baby's heart tones went sky high and then super low. Ate Sus hopped in and had me chart, just so that she could manage the in a more active way which was a-okay with me. Once the head started to come, she had me hop in and helped me to deliver another baby boy at 4:36am. This baby came out a little harder than my first and required a bit more persuasion but had healthy APGARs. The parents named this miracle Ivan.
Before the end of my shift, I made sure that both babies and mamas were doing well and worked on paper work for them.
Hyacent Mae (catch #1)
I headed home, ate some lunch, did my laundry and took a brief nap before heading back to the clinic for a three day baby check on Miss Hyacent  (the first baby I caught). It was so great to get to see her and her mom doing well. They also brought her baby brother again- Vincent, 3 years old and is adorable! I love getting to know my patients even more during their follow up appointments! It is so fun to see the babies growing and changing and to learn more about the family's life.

Directly from Hyacent's baby check, I took a motor (like a motorcycle but closer to a crotch rocket) to church. It is the same church I went to earlier in the month and had said that it was going to be an English Mass but not so. I realized it was in Vesyan after it started but it was good to worship again and I am begining to understand the language better. It was PACKED to the max for the 4:30pm Mass! The priest encouraged people to squish and line the aisles. I looked back and there were people three deep standing in the back and along the outside screens/doors. It was St. John the Baptist's feast day and the one sentance that the preist said in English was, "John, just as Jesus was in the form of a baby was a gift from God." From volunteering at the clinic I can truly attest to this testimony. It is completely incredible to see these babies born healthy and the families so very happy and eager to welcome them into their lives despite some of their life situations.
I got caught in a bit of a rainstorm coming home from church and picked up another water bottle (now I can bring water and my smoothies to work with me) and umbrella at a small store near church. I got home and grabbed scrubs off the line for the next day, hoping that they would dry out from the rain in the house by 5:30am for my day shift on Monday.

Monday the 25th 
Monday I worked 6-2, and it was a pretty restful shift, praise God! I was able to rest and catch up with another summer missionary and share our experiences. At about 8:00, Ate Elsa said "Casey, we have to transport someone. Let's go." I jumped into action and changed my shoes from birthroom shoes to street shoes. As we headed out the door she said, "Wait. Have you had the chicken pox?" I told her I had and she said it was okay for me to go with her. A patient had arrived who had an active case of chicken pox and we had to transport her to the hospital because it is too dangerous for us to have at our clinic because we do not have isolation capabilities and with so many babies in and out it is risky. Ate Elsa drove the ambulance while I sat in the back with the patient and her bana. Side note- Ate Elsa, just like everyone else here is a very defensive driver! She rocks!
Hannah's catch, I charted/assisted
When we got to the hospital, Ate Elsa had me go into the hospital and check in the patient on my own. Thankfully the OB/GYN area was not busy as I got them right in with a nurse. The doctor even came up to me and asked me questions about the patient, which is pretty rare I hear. Ate Elsa parked the ambulance and helped the bana fill out paperwork and we were off for the clinic. There was one birth during our shift and she came in fully dilated and pushy. I checked her in and almost caught but the first up midwife, Hannah hopped in after her baby check and caught the baby just in time. It was the patient's third baby and she was a pro! Hannah was so very proud of the mama and baby at how well the baby breastfed and how well the patient's helpers were on top of everything.
1 day old Harden Junior and family
After shift, I waited around the clinic for my one day baby checks of Harden Junior (#2 catch) and Ivan (#3 catch). They were a bit late but I read my book and talked with two 16 year olds who are visiting Salem (another midwife and her family) for a few weeks doing mission work here. They have never seen a birth and are eager to witness at least one. Since we were slow, I let them watch as I did a baby check and let them listen to the baby's heart. The smile on their faces  reminded me of why I am here and how amazing of a gift these babies are!
Baby Ivan and family- His brother's name is Ralph- he's so cute!
I walked home from clinic to the other house for Ate Maricel's dinner (remember she cooks for us Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). Since all of the second year midwives were out for dinner, it was the summer midwives and first year midwives that remained. We had some great conversation and many laughs! It is so great to hear everyone's stories and how they came to find the clinic here. It is also nice to relate cultural experiences with each other. Tilly and I headed to the mall to get a book light for me and paper plates for another girl. The line at the store for plates was not moving for over  20 minutes so we abandoned that cause and headed home.
Once home, Juniper (a roommate) asked if I wanted to go on a run with her. I agreed and we went for a tour of our neighborhood.  I don't remember the last time that I ran for that long, but it felt SO very good! I headed to bed and read my book for a while before calling it a night.

Love,
Casey








Baby Harden Junior- they brought him to his one day check in an outfit I gave them!


Baby Ivan (catch #3)
This three year old was giving out kisses to all the babies at the clinic
Thank you God this opportunity to serve you and these women! Thank for you for two healthy baby boys- Harden and Ivan! I pray that  you keep them in your heart and in your hands as they grow. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment